Friday, May 16, 2008

photography – an expensive art?!

Whenever I mention to my buddies that I’ll shift into photography, they always sez “ayus yan dude! But it’s one expensive hobby!”. Is photography really an expensive art as they say!?

If this will be based on the equips that the pros use, then I would have to agree that this is one helluva expensive hobby. A dSLR camera itself is worth a brand new personal computer (or a new Playstation 3) and that doesn’t include the vast array of lenses (not to mention the tripods). So yeah! If we are to base on this fact, it is very, very expensive! But how come there are those that are only equip with a mere market-standard digital camera and yet they capture nearly as good as those dSLR(s)? These are the types of people that only need a camera and his/her imagination! They have this innate gift when it comes to expression, art, detail and capturing those moments that others would deem not worth of the patience. I’ve seen a couple of photo-blogs using their ixus(well, I guess it’s above market standard ^_^) or powershot digital cameras and I couldn’t believe that the shots were taken by just some mere digital camera.

I found out that instead of figuring out which type of lens to use, let your eyes and imagination do the shots for you. Let it run wild to produce a unique and fresh story of the shot that you took!

I’ve nothing against those who use SLRs (in fact, I want one myself ^_^). I’m just trying to make a point that photography need not be expensive as everybody’s saying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm I don't know much about photography (although I DO enjoy taking photos with my digicam haha) ... but to me, I think having all those equipments make you look more "professional" ... does it actually help your photography skills? Maybe. But as a beginner (like me), I don't think one would need such expensive tools. But of course, if you now that you'll be playing with photography for a long, long time (lifetime maybe?), I think it'll be fun to buy those tools throughout your lifetime, just to try different effects (aperture settings, etc). Have fun! And please share hehe.

PS. I'm surprised my name popped out in your last entry haha. :]

Anonymous said...

naimagine mo ba kung gaano kamahal lalo kung nasa analog cameras era parin tayo. ang mahal magpaprint.... tapos mahal talaga... hahaha

yung kapatid ko, dati, share kami, sa nikon e3200 3.2 MP lang yun pero pag may talent ka talaga, kahit ganun lang yung camera mo, maganda parin ang shots mo. yung tito ko nga, colorblind na photographer, nainis daw sya kasi parang nadedesecrate na ngayon ang photography. parang mas colorblind pa daw sakanya yung ibang wannabe. nahurt nga ako eh. hehehe

jexamine said...

@satsuki
- true! i agree on what you sez! and like i sez on the post, professional equips only "enhances" the photo but the image was first concucted in the imagination. i know your into art also and i so drool when you got your digitizing tablet ^_^...

@vera
- thanks for the visit again hehehe.. medyo naabutan ko yata yung analog days.. yung film and papa-develop pa sa photo studio ^_^.. i guess the time is just different on what we have now and what your uncle had... madami talaga maganda shots nung time nya since d pa tayo na-invade ng pollution and senseless stuff ^_^..