Monday, June 16, 2008

toycon 2008 aftermath

I recently attended the 7th Philippine toycon held at the SM megamall megatrade halls 2 and 3. this is the first time that I attended a toy and hobbyist convention and quite frankly and from my perspective, well…. I was disappointed. What I fear the most had happened – that the convention will be dominated by those western figures. Figures sold were mostly those justice league, star wars, batman and the likes. I only saw a couple of Japanese anime figs like deathnote and the meccha god’s known as the gundam saga. This prompted me to just sit on the presentation grounds as I am also there to see and hear the blackmage9 in person. I just sit there for roughly 2 hours awaiting the cosplay catwalk. For this convention, I have not taken a single photo of any of the cosplayers. This was the result of a couple of factors: 1. I arrived at the convention at roughly 2 pm and I’ve not seen any cosplayers upon my arrival. 2. I was major-ly disappointed on the figs that I saw.

As I wait for the cosplay catwalk, a couple of fellow-fan sitting behind me sez “this year’s toycon was a total disappointment” and I couldn’t agree with them more. Then the catwalk proper was officially underway and I finally, finally saw the blackmage9. I was also hoping to get a glimpse of the slumberdoll but it was not meant to be. The toycon’s cosplay catwalk marked the return of a couple of well-loved anime/movie characters. The incredible hulk, iron man, the joker (from the batman), jack scissors were all present but one of the highlights of the catwalk in my point of view was the crowd favorite hard gay cosplayer and the return of a visionaries (complete with music) cosplayer and it rocked!!! The catwalk made my day and those two exact fans sez “it’s a good thing that I didn’t go home (or I would’ve missed this great catwalk)!!” when the catwalk ended I decided to roam around for a couple of minutes in the hopes of seeing the riadox07 but instead I crossed path with blackmage9 and her sister orangeish (wtf! Talk about fate)… blackmage9 was in a hurry but a cosplayer managed to got a picture of orangeish (complete with her pose). I was literally in awe and starstruck by both of them that I forgot to take some pictures.. stupid me!!! T__T.

I only went on the first day of the convention since I didn’t saw anything worth spending my time or money on except for those wasabi toys (anime hats) which I bought for my lil’ sis. And just like that, the toycon 2008 ended.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to comment...Toycon isn't really aimed at the Japanese toys...it really started out with the aim of showcasing western toys.

It just so happened that through the years, as more anime and Japanese related cosplayers showed up during cons so it became like that.

jexamine said...

eehhh!! i didn't know that! thanks for the info and like i sez, that was my first toycon so i really didnt know that the event was like that..

thanks so much for sharing and next year i will know better ^_^

Anonymous said...

hey nice post about the toycon 2008,im in a web site design company, and having your blog as an update reference,. keeps my job much easier, thanks, keep it up....