Tuesday, August 11, 2009

chains of an oath


Edits: none

Hesitantly, I answered the phone…

“hello!?” in a somewhat baffled tone.

I couldn’t hear anyone from the other end. I took a glimpse on my phone to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. Moments passed and still no answer. Those 18 seconds felt like a lifetime and am getting really drowsy until I heard a sobbing tone followed-up with a deep sigh…

“hello!? Are you alright!? Look, its 3 a.m. and my eyes are killing me. Whatever’s bothering you, it’s life’s way of reminding us that we are human beings. If you don’t have anyone to hold on to, you can believe in me. Trust me to pick-up the phone and answer your call each and every time ayt!?”

I was startled myself on the things that I said and how I handled the phone call. After hearing my piece, the other person disconnected the line. As I was getting ready for my trance, my phone beeped once more…

“I’m sori 4 being a bother. Tnx for the heartwarming words. Ill hold on to ur pramis…”

The first few lines of the message is what struck me – am sorry for being a bother… I imagined that this person must be in dire situation right now and badly needs someone. After reading the message, I became restless. I tossed and turned but to no avail. I fought the urge of answering her message for the reason I myself don’t know.

The morning drizzle soothes my tense body and the gloomy clouds telling me to get up. It was 8 a.m. in the morn as mr. clock reminded me. I sit idly by the porch as I wait impatiently for the storm surge. The sweet aroma of my coffee and top that with doing nothing is the best way to kill time during this nostalgic weather. Flashback – I then thought about my dream… about the single-winged Gabriel, the deathscythe and the meteor storm. I was lost in my own delusion when I heard that all too familiar of a tone…

“hello” as I was taking a sip of my coffee.

There was no response from the other end until…

“anou… I was the one that called you earlier”

My jaw dropped when I heard HER voice. It’s as if inviting me to get to know her better. It was a shy and hesitant voice but somehow I felt that there is something needed to be done.

“this is just for 20 minutes…” she added.
“I just wanna say thank you for picking-up last night and saying those words.”

“don’t sweat it. I think anybody would’ve done the same thing if they were in my situation.” I told her in a cool tone.

“yes! They would have done just that but the way you sez those words last night, I was moved to my core. I felt that you mean what you sez. You’re a good person and am glad that I called you.”

“really!?” to my surprise “how can you tell!? We just talked once.”

“it doesn’t matter. I just do…” she told me in a hush and comforting tone.

Utter silence followed… I am not sure as to what’s happening but she made me feel better in this gloomy and nostalgic day.

“before we get cut-off” she said breaking the solidarity of the moment…
“I work in ortigas so if by chance you’re somewhere near the area, maybe we can have a coffee sometime”

“eehhhh… well I work in pioneer center at boni… well actually my start date will be on the fourth week of this month” I told her.

“really!?” to her amazement.
“I insist that we have lunch or a coffee…it’s my way of saying thank you…”

“I haven’t done anything to help you but I’ll take you on your offer” I said in a sarcastic tone…

“so it’s a deal then…. By the way” as she continued
“my name is GABRIEL



Take your time i wont go anywhere
Picture you with the wind in your hair
I'll keep your things right where you left them
I'll be here for you

No comments: